Petrol hedge trimmers are perfect for a large garden with dense hedges. Their powerful long blades make trimming large thick hedges easy, and if you have tall shrubs, long-reach petrol hedge cutters are available to avoid the hazards of using ladders.
With a petrol hedge trimmer, you are not limited to a power source or cables getting in the way, allowing you to move freely; plus, you don’t have to worry about battery capacity or recharging of the battery as with cordless hedge cutters.
There are many different types of petrol hedge trimmers in the UK market. We will look at the best petrol hedge trimmers to guide you in selecting the unit most suited to your requirements.
Our Top Picks
Best Petrol Hedge Cutters
- Makita EH7500W 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Mcculoch HT 5622 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Einhell GE-PH 2555A 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Husqverna 122HD60 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Honda HHH 25D 75E 4-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Mountfield MHT 2322 2-STROKE Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Hyundai HYPT5200X 52CC Long Reach Petrol Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Parker Brand 52cc Petrol Multi Function 5 in 1 Garden Tool
Listed below are what we consider to be the eight Best Petrol Hedge Trimmers.
Makita EH7500W Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke, 22cc, 4390rpm
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.4 L
- Blade Leng – 75cm
- Blade Gap – 21.5mm
- Weight – 5.2kg
We rate the Makita EH7500W as the UK’s best overall petrol hedge trimmer. Makita has a reputation for producing quality tools, and this trimmer is lightweight, efficient, and versatile while being constructed to Makita’s high-quality standards.
The Makita EH7500 is powered by a 2-stroke, 22cc motor, which, although slightly smaller the most motors used for petrol hedge trimmers, runs at twice the speed of similar engines at 4390 rpm.
This engine runs rich for a 2-stroke using a 50:1 fuel-to-oil mix, leading to a cleaner run. To comply with the latest emission laws,
Double reciprocating blades are nickel plated to reduce wear from abrasion and will last longer than blades made from regular steel.
In addition, the 75cm length of the blade will enable you to work quickly, and you will be able to trim reasonably tall hedges without needing a ladder. The teeth are spaced to cut branches up to 21.5mm.
An anti-vibration system whereby the motor is mounted on four dampening springs inside the housing absorbs the vibrations from the engine to reduce fatigue on the user’s grip.
The rear handle can rotate to 5 pre-set positions depending on the angle you want to hold the trimmer, from 0, 45, and 90 degrees in either left or right directions.
A thumb switch rotates the handle to the required position, and there is a switch on either side of the handle to accommodate left- and right-handed users.
- Long blade
- Small motor still producing 4390 rpm
- Quality Brand with a good reputation
- Small protection guard
Mcculoch HT 5622 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke, 22.7cc, 2356rpm
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.5 L
- Blade Length – 56cm
- Blade Gap – 22mm
- Weight – 5.2kg
The Mcculoch HT 5622 petrol hedge trimmer is designed for cutting hedges in the most comfortable way possible; thus, it is lightweight at only 5.2kg and easy to manage.
A 2-stroke 22.7CC engine powers this unit and uses a 50:1 fuel-to-oil ratio, and the resistance of the pull cord starter has been reduced by 40%, making it easy to start.
The Mcculoch HT 5622 has standard steel blades with a dual actual cutting blade motion. The length of the blade is 56cm with a cutting gap of 22mm, although cutting branches with a maximum diameter of 19mm is recommended.
The control handle is 90 degrees adjustable, allowing you to make horizontal and vertical cuts easily. In addition, the front handle is U-shaped to allow you to vary your grip.
- Easy to manoeuvre
- Easy to start
- Low-emission ( environmentally friendly)
- Blade could be longer
Einhell GE-PH 2555A 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke, 25cc, 1900rpm
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.33 L
- Blade Length – 61cm
- Blade Gap – 19mm
- Weight – 5.4kg
The Einhell hedge cutter is the best for value and performance due to its fair and competitive price and durability. It has a good engine, blade length, and enough power to get through thick branches and has the same features as many other petrol hedge trimmers
The Einhell GE-PH 2555A petrol hedge trimmer is powerful, robust, and ideal for trimming hedges, shrubs, and bushes. The low-vibration quality 2-stroke 25cc engine has a Quick-Start system, easy-to-reach primer, and auto choke that enables quick starting after a period of inactivity.
This Einhell hedge trimmer has a control handle that can rotate 90 degrees in either direction, allowing for easier control and comfort, irrespective of the cutting situation. In addition, the engine is mounted on anti-vibration brackets to reduce fatigue.
The 61cm blades are laser cut and then sharpened using diamonds to grind the edges to perfect sharpness for single passes and quick work. With a 19mm blade gap, branches of a maximum of 19mm thickness can be cut.
- Value for money
- Length and sharpness of the blade.
- Some users complained about the engine’s performance; however, these complaints should be considered the exception rather than the rule.
Husqverna 122HD60 2-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke, 21.7cc
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.3 L
- Blade Length – 59cm
- Blade Gap – 20mm
- Weight – 6.5kg
The Husqvarna 122HD60 is a high-end petrol hedge trimmer with a strong and quiet running engine that professional landscapers often use for handling challenging garden cleanup chores, such as trimming large overgrown hedges or slashing through stands of tree saplings.
SmartStart ignition is designed to start the engine with less effort than most engines of this size and it is easy to pull the recoil cord to get the engine going.
The durable dual-action stainless steel cutting blade oscillates at 4050 cuts per minute and is significantly faster than most 59cm-long blades. The oscillating speed combined with the powerful petrol engine is why this trimmer effectively cuts through thick branches.
An anti-vibration system makes it comfortable for longer without getting tired, and the handle rotates to multiple angles to enable easy trimming at all positions.
- Powerful 21.7cc engine
- 3- position handle
- Rated with the lowest noise level of petrol hedge trimmers
- Fast, efficient cut
- Somewhat expensive
- Is a bit heavier than some alternative hedge trimmers
Honda HHH 25D 75E 4-stroke Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 4-stroke, OHC 25cc
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.58
- Blade Length – 72cm
- Blade Gap – 36mm
- Weight – 6.6kg
The HHH 25D 75E is fitted with one of Honda’s 25cc mini four-stroke GX25 petrol hedge trimmer engines and is one of the first four-stroke petrol hedge trimmers on the market.
Unlike the two-stroke engines, this four-stroke runs on unleaded fuel, so you don’t have to mix petrol with oil. As a result, they are environmentally friendly, quieter, cheaper to run than most two-stroke engines and easy and quick to start.
A unique 4-way Anti-Vibration clutch reduces vibration. An ergonomic hand grip and a three-positon rotating handle that can be swivelled through 180 degrees ensure exceptional manoeuvrability and comfortable use even when used for long periods.
This Hoda HHH 25D 75E is the perfect machine for keeping overgrown bushes and hedges clean and tidy in large parks and gardens. The double-bladed 72cm long blades with a blade gap of 36mm are suitable for heavy trimming and shaping of hedges.
- Easy to start (First time, every time, start)
- Runs on standard unleaded petrol
- Powerful 4-stroke engine
- Quiet running machine
- Is quite pricey
Mountfield MHT 2322 2-STROKE Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke 22.5cc
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.26 L
- Blade Length – 60cm
- Blade Gap – 27mm
- Weight – 5.6kg
The MHT 2322B hedge trimmer is an easy-to-start 22.5cc 2-stroke engine with a 50:1 petrol-to-oil ratio ideal for most gardens and will make light work of overgrown hedges in any garden.
The double reciprocating blades with a cutting length of 56 cm will trim most hedges, and with a blade gap of 27 mm, it can cut through thick branches easily. In addition, there is a Blade Protection System for cutting close to walls and hard surfaces.
With a weight of 5.6kg and a choice of three grip positions, the MHT 2322 is easy to use and comfortable for long periods.
- Easy to start
- Anti-vibration system
- Great for domestic gardens
- Some reviews mention that it is difficult to restart the motor when it is warm
Hyundai HYPT5200X 52cc Long Reach Petrol Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Power Source – 2-stroke 52cc
- Tank Size (Volume) – 1.2 L
- Blade Length – 40cm
- Blade Gap – 20mm
- Weight – 7.75kg
The Hyundai HYPT5200X is a 52cc long-reach petrol hedge trimmer with strong cutting power on tall, hard-to-reach hedges. When fully extended, it can reach from two to three metres and can be increased with the one-metre extension shaft that is included.
With a lightweight aluminium shaft and low vibration, the HYPT5200X is a comfortable hedge trimmer for tall hedges, even for extended periods. The three poles can be separated quickly and are easy to transport.
A 52cc 2- stroke engine provides sufficient cutting power to the 40cm double-sided reciprocating blades to tackle the most demanding, hard-to-reach hedges and branches up to 20mm in diameter. The 14-position / 270-degree pivot head allows you to trim at multiple angles.
The padded front handle allows multiple grip positions at different angles and heights. In addition, an anti-vibration system provides a comfortable working position while cutting and shaping tall hedges.
- Perfect for trimming tall hedges
- Split shaft is convenient for transporting and storing
- Powerful engine provides effective trimming
- A few users claim that the unit is too heavy
Parker Brand 52cc Petrol Multi Function 5 in 1 Garden Tool
- Power Source – 2-stroke 52cc
- Tank Size (Volume) – 0.75 L
- Blade Length – 43cm
- Blade Gap – 20mm
- Weight – 15kg (Total weight with accessories)
The Parker Brand 52cc Multi Function 5 in-1 Garden Tool is a multi-tool ideal for heavy-duty garden maintenance. Powered by a 2-stroke 52cc petrol engine that is easy to start, this tool will make light work of even the toughest grass, weeds, and branches.
This unit consists of the following five tools:
- A sturdy three-tooth blade for thick undergrowth
- Bump-feed spool with a 2.4mm cord for grass cutting and edging
- An extension shaft, 80cm in length
- 10-inch chainsaw attachment, perfect for pruning.
- The hedge trimmer attachment has 43cm blades and is fully adjustable to suit the angle and height required to trim the hedge comfortably and effectively. The extension shaft can be attached to attain a maximum reach of 3.1m.
A lightweight design guarantees user comfort and allows a wide range of tasks to be done with one machine. In addition, a body harness is supplied for safe and comfortable operation.
- Powerful and reliable 2-stroke 52cc engine
- Easy to start
- Five tools to complete numerous tasks with one machine
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Multi-tool is a bit on the heavy side
How to Buy the Best Petrol Hedge Trimmers
Before deciding on which petrol hedge trimmer to purchase, consider the size, height, and density of the hedges, you intend to trim.
Standard Petrol Hedge Trimmer
If the hedges you intend to trim are 6ft or less high, then a standard petrol hedge trimmer will be more than adequate.
Long-reach Petrol Hedge Trimmer
if you have taller hedges over 6ft or even if they are more challenging to reach, then a long-reach petrol hedge trimmer will give you that extra reach without needing a ladder, making your task safer and more comfortable.
It must be noted that these long-reach trimmers tend to be heavier but usually come with a body harness to make carrying and manoeuvring the extra weight more comfortable.
Multi-tool trimmers come with multiple attachments for grass cutting, brush cutting, a chainsaw, and an extension shaft to provide you with the tools for all your gardening functions in one compact package.
Most petrol hedge trimmers will have a 2-stroke 23 to 25cc engine that typically runs on a petrol-to-oil mix ratio of 40:1 or 50:1. It is always recommended to check the manufacturer’s recommendation.
Some long-reach and multi-tool models use 2-stroke 52 cc engines to provide more power. All these 2-stroke engines start best with the choke out, prime the pump, and a quick pull of the handle.
Some petrol hedge trimmers use a 4-stroke engine that uses only unleaded petrol, not a petrol-to-oil mix.
Petrol Hedge Trimmer Blades
Petrol hedge trimmer blades do the cutting and the bulk of the hard work, therefore, you must select a hedge trimmer with the trimmer blades best suited for the hedges you will be trimming.
There are two essential elements to consider when choosing the correct trimmer blade:
Long blades will speed up the cutting, as you can cut more in a single sweep of the trimmer; plus, you will have more reach when dealing with taller shrubs and hedges. On the other hand, a longer blade will be heavier and more challenging to handle.
The most common measurements are 45cm and 60 cm.
The spacing of the teeth (Blade gap) will determine the thickness of the branches that can be cut through and will be directly proportional to the trimmer’s power. A small motor cannot cut through a thick stem.
It is essential to consider what thickness of stems or branches you will need to cut. With larger spacing comes a larger motor, stronger teeth, and increased cost, but if you have thick hedges, choosing a smaller unit is pointless as you will keep stopping and starting due to the trimmer jamming.
The sharper the blade, the better, and the less vibration you feel in your arms and hands. Trimmers with laser cut or diamond ground blades are available that are sharper and will last longer.
Petrol Hedge Trimmer Handles
There are usually two handles on a petrol hedge trimmer. The rear handle at the back of the trimmer helps you control the engine part, while the top handle allows you to balance and direct the trimmer.
Some trimmers have what are known as “wrap-around handles” that allow you to rotate and hold the trimmer at various angles, making it easier and more comfortable to use.
A hand guard will help prevent debris from being thrown back toward the user. Another safety feature is a safety switch on both handles so that the trimmer cannot start unless both handles are gripped.
The tip protector is located at the end of the cutting head to protect the blades from damage in case you accidentally hit a hard surface while trimming.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better, an electric or petrol hedge trimmer?
There are positive and negative aspects to both types of hedge trimmers. Which style is best for you will be dependent on the trimmer that best suits your requirements
Electric Hedge Trimmer
- Easy to maintain
- Won’t pollute the air
- A power point is required
- Will need a long cord plus an extension
- There is always the risk of cutting the cable
- Movement is more restricted than with a petrol unit
Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Great for more challenging tasks.
- More powerful than electrical
- No leads to worry about
- More portable. It can be used anywhere
- More expensive option
- Are noisy
- Are heavier than electric units
- Petrol engines, so not good for the environment
How to Service a Petrol Hedge Trimmer
Daily checks and Routines
- Hedge trimmer blades must be cleaned directly after using them to prevent tree sap build-up that can lead to the blades becoming dull. Ensure that cutter blades are always sharp.
- Check the cutting blades to ensure they are moving smoothly, and adjust the screws if they are not.
- Test the bolts and screws to see if they are tightened properly
- Check the rubber and plastic parts to ensure they are in good order and are not torn or split.
Further Checks and Maintenance
- Make sure the air filter is clean. The filter can be cleaned by removing it and using compressed air to blow out the debris.
- If the air filter is filthy and cannot be adequately cleaned, replace it.
- It is suggested that the petrol be drained from the tank at least once yearly. If the hedge trimmer has not been used for three months or more, drain the tank and refill it before using it again.
- At the same time that the fuel is changed, the spark plugs should be removed and cleaned or replaced if needed.
Regular checks and maintenance will ensure that your hedge trimmer keeps working correctly.
How much does a Commercial Petrol Hedge Trimmer weigh?
Petrol hedge trimmers tend to be heavier than corded or cordless models; weights can vary from 5.2 to 7.6 kg. Pole hedge trimmers can weigh up to 9kg.
What kind of petrol does a petrol hedge trimmer use?
The 2-stroke petrol hedge trimmer uses a mixture of unleaded regular petrol and 2-stroke engine oil at ratios of 40:1 or 50:1.
The 4-stroke petrol hedge trimmer uses unleaded petrol only.
Petrol hedge trimmers are ideal for many applications, ranging from light trimming to tackling thick growth.
Petrol hedge trimmers are more powerful than electric or corded models enabling you to achieve a faster work rate.
By considering the important factors mentioned in this guide, you should be able to choose the best model for your needs.